Monday, January 2, 2012

New Years New You 5k Race

On the morning of New Years Eve, the family participated in a 5k race for Crohn's and Colitis disease. My sister in law has Crohn's so it was so special to donate our money and time for a cause that hits so close to home. It was hosted in a near by neighborhood and there were probably 50 people who came out to run. My wonderful mother volunteered to watch the kids while we all ran together. We had such a fun time getting pumped up before the race. 

We found it very ironic that a race dedicated to Crohn's and Colitis disease did NOT have a bathroom! The clubhouse was locked!! Like, come on people! We had to drive to the McDonald's  around the corner to go to the bathroom 15 minutes before we raced. We just laughed the whole way because it was so ridiculous. 

My sister Jill ran track in college and she has continued to stay in tip top shape since she graduated. Jill was giving us tips and suggestions on how to get through the 5k without burning out. Jill kicked it up at the start and actually finished 2nd for the women, AND got a medal! 

Ryan and my brother David stayed together at the front and finished around 22-23 minutes. My Dad, sis-in-law Tiffany and I stayed together and finished between 30:25 and 30:29. As I was coming around the finish line, I saw my sister cheering us all on and she said to just sprint to the end! So, I did!! and then right as I crossed the finished line, I swear I was about to throw up. My body was not conditioned at all to run 3.2 miles, but I did it! And if I knew my time in the middle of the race, I would have definitely pushed myself harder to finish before 30 minutes. I am totally proud of myself. I needed about 10 minutes to recover enough to actually talk to Ryan (I was about to puke, people!). Also, Panera Bread donated bagels and loaves of bread to the race so we definitely had our fair share afterwards to replenish our lost carbs :-) 

We have decided to now make it a family tradition that when we are together to try and find a race to participate in.






6 comments:

  1. Way to go you guys! What a great tradition and an AWESOME way to start the new year. Chris and I are recruiting a few Marcums to join in a little weight loss challenge. I don't know if it is going to involve any running though. EEEEEkksss

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so awesome! way to go- totally on my list of things to (hopefully) do this year or the next. and love your sister's jacket- go ducks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go, Jill! That's so awesome! What a fun tradition for you and your family! You've seen the girls in my fam do the race for the cure every year, right? It's so fun to have that to look forward to. We don't even run the whole thing. It's just fun to do it as a family!

    And I am not judging you for the the throw-up. Have you heard of Cross Fit? While I was home last week, I went to the gym with my sister. She is a work-out-aholic. I haven't worked out for a year and just went right into it. Holy crap. I puked right in the middle of all the exercises. It was like I was dying. Let's get back into shape together! We can do it virtually, of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Proud of you Steele's! It's a great tradition and good adult time too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love a good family 5k! that's my plan for our future family one day. i love that it was for a cause that's close to your hearts too!

    ReplyDelete